Suffering from jaw and neck pain? This is one pain which has bothered me a lot and for several years. There was a time when I thought my end is near – it must be something really serious and I will never be able to come out of it.
Jaw or neck pain can be quite bothersome and if you are not able to find out the main cause of the problem, how are you going to find a cure for the same?
Neck and jaw pain can be in the form of neck stiffness, jaw pain in left side, jaw pain in right side, flexibility problems and a nagging pain in the neck which doesn’t go away with time. Though estimates vary, it is known that a majority of the neck problems are related to the jaw. There might be a problem in the temporomandibular joints (TMJ) which connect the skull and jawbone. It begins action every time a person chews, swallows or talks.
There are a number of reasons for TMJ disorders which can be due to problem in the jaw muscles and jaw joints. This can be due to overuse or other inflammatory conditions like arthritis.
For all those who are suffering from neck pain, I have a few suggestions! Why not try out some home remedies which are really effective?
Hot and Cold Therapy Have Helped Me
You can apply for the initial few days. After that, you can apply a bit of heat with the help of heating pad. Hot compress and hot shower can help in improving blood circulation and can help in providing relief from pain.
Take Rest and See if It Makes a Difference
You can take a few days off from different activities which can aggravate the symptoms. You can take a few days off from sports or even heavy lifting. As you are able to resume normal activities, your symptoms can slowly ease. In case of pain due to injury, rest and alternating heat and cold therapy is found to be quite useful.
Keep Changing Your Position
Never stand or sit in the same position for a long-time. Keep changing your position as many times you can. It will help in increasing mobility and reduce neck stiffness or body ache.
Adjusting the Sleep Area
There are many kinds of pillows which are designed for those who suffer from neck pain or stiffness. Many people develop pain in the neck as they wake up in the morning. This is often caused due to uncomfortable pillow – using the right pillow can cure neck pain caused due to poor pillows. There are a few other things which you can do. These include:
- Get a comfortable but firm mattress
- Relax a bit before sleeping
- Sleep online on your side or back
- Wearing a mouth guard also helps, especially those who have a habit to grind teeth as they sleep.
Reduce Your Stress
Have you ever though that stress can lead to neck and jaw pain? Stress might lead to tense neck muscles. If stress is reduced, it can help in treating stiffness and pain of the neck. Individuals suffering from pain can do their bit to reduce stress by meditating or listening to their favorite music, or simply by doing something which relaxes their mind.
Exercises Do Help
- Easy Stretches: There are many stretching exercises which can be done anytime. You can roll your shoulders sitting in a place. Next, you can also squeeze the shoulder blades many times. You can also slowly move your ears towards the shoulder on each of your side. You can also turn your head from a side to another.
- Low Impact Aerobic Exercises – Along with stretching, any kind of low-impact aerobic exercise which includes walking, help in relieving the stiffness of the neck. Though walking might not be directly related to neck pain, but it helps in circulating oxygen to the different soft tissues of spine. This helps in promoting healing.
How to Cure Jaw Pain – Some Recommendations
Jaw pain can be in the form of facial pain, muscle and joint tenderness, clicking or popping sounds of the joints, facial swelling, jaw locking, earache, headache, dizziness and much more. All these symptoms are due to some underlying conditions which need to be treated.
There are a few therapies which are quite effective in curing jaw pain. Individuals can
- Use mouth protectors which include mouth-guards which can help in easing jaw pain
- Try relaxation therapy
- Stretching is also helpful as it helps in increasing muscle flexibility
- Take care of your posture – in several cases, posture related problems cause neck pain which can also cause pain in the jaws.
Massage – Get a good massage by a trained practitioner and you will be able to reduce the stiffness of the back muscles. Often stiff back and neck muscles can cause problems in the back. Thus, massage is an easy home remedy to get relief from pain.
No matter what you are suffering from, it is important to see a doctor and get the condition diagnosed as soon as possible.