It might be in the form of a dull ache or a stabbing sharp pain. It might come suddenly and go away, but to return again with all its might!
So, what is this slight pain between the shoulder blades which doesn’t seem to go away. What can cause a sharp pain between the shoulder blades, which bothers so many people across the globe today?
Whatever be the cause of the pain, you shouldn’t ignore it. Get an appointment with your Doctor and get your treatment done.
So, what are the causes of this sharp pain? what does it mean when you have a sharp pain between your shoulder blades
Now, coming to the causes. There can be many reasons for that sharp pain between the shoulder blades. One of the primary reasons can be muscle strain. Muscles usually get strained due to poor posture or even repetitive movements. There can be strain due to activities which involve twisting especially in sports like tennis and golf. It can happen even when sleeping on a stiff or a poor mattress.
Arthritis – a common cause
Interscapular pain which is also known as the sharp pain between the shoulder blades is caused by arthritis. Just as with the disc disease, arthritis which occurs in the neck causes a sharp pain between the shoulder blades.
There is another unusual reason (at least for me) – acid reflux can be a cause of sharp pain between shoulder blades. GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease causes referred pain in the back region, just between the shoulder blades. Symptoms include problems in swallowing, hoarseness of voice and also chest pain. If GERD remains untreated for a long time, it can lead to other ailments as well. Thus, even if you are suffering from a mild and dull ache, you need to find the causes of it and have it treated.
Shingles Can be the cause of your sharp pain between the shoulder blades.
Do you know that shingles can be the cause of pain anywhere in your body? It depends on the nerve roots which are affected by the shingles. They might even occur before the rash is noticed. The pain is usually felt quite sharp, right between the shoulder blades. However, it concentrates on one side of the body.
Whenever you have any discomfort or pain, you need to visit the Doctor. The doctor does a thorough examination and finds the cause of the pain, based on which treatment is planned. Your doctor will have a number of questions for you:
- Do you have any other symptoms other than the sharp pain? Do you find it difficult to swallow or you have shortness of breath? Is there a pain in the arms or jaw?
- The Doctor will ask about the duration of the pain.
- You will be asked if there is anything which makes the pain worse?
- Have you lifted something quite heavy recently?
- Have you started any new exercise?
Based on your answers and after a thorough diagnosis, the Doctor will suggest treatment. For all simple causes such as posture problems, sleeping poorly, strain and overuse, there are a few home remedies which are quite effective.
- Application of ice – Place ice cubes in a cotton bag and apply the bag on the affected area for at least four times in a day.
- Rest – Take rest and let your muscles relax.
- Try pain relief medicines – These provide relief from pain and inflammation
- Massage – You can take professional help to massage the area. It will improve circulation and provide relief from pain.
- Exercises – There are several light stretches which are quite effective in reducing the sharp pain between the shoulder blades.
In case you find that the treatment is not working as you expect it to be, please speak to your Doctor.