What causes back spasms?
Before you look for the answer, you need to know that almost 80% people in the USA have back spasm, especially lower back spasms. It is an involuntary tensing or contraction of different muscles in lower back. Such a condition usually ranges from infrequent spasms. It causes mild discomfort to severe pain which often makes it difficult to move.
However, such lower back spasms or muscle spasms in lower back can be treated at home. There are many effective home remedies which provide relief without the need of surgery.
Symptoms of Back Spasms
- Dull muscle ache which doesn’t go away for a long time
- Stabbing or shooting pain in the lower back
- Pain which moves towards the leg
- The pain which aggravates when walking for a long time, when standing, lifting or bending
- Pain which tends to improve as one reclines
Causes of Lower Back Spasms
There are many causes of lower back spasms. A pain which comes quickly and does not last more than six weeks is generally caused due to heavy lifting or due to fall. If the back pain is lingering for more than three months, it is said to be a chronic pain.
Here are some of the many conditions which are associated with back pain:
- Ligament or Muscle Strain – This kind of pain is caused due to a sudden awkward movement or due to heavy lifting. This movement can strain the back muscles or the spinal ligaments. Those who have poor physical condition with a constant strain on the back tend to have painful muscle spasms.
- Ruptured Disk or Bulge – Disks usually act like cushions between the bones in the spine. There is a soft material inside the disk, which tends to rupture or bulge if it is pressed on the nerve. However, there can be a ruptured disk or bulge without any back pain. Disk diseases can be diagnosed with spine X-rays.
- Skeletal Irregularities – This is a condition in which the spine curves a bit to the side. It causes back pain but usually found in the case of middle-aged people.
- Arthritis – Osteoarthritis affects the lower back. If there is arthritis in the spine it can cause a narrowing of space around spinal cord. This condition is known as spinal stenosis.
- Osteoporosis – The vertebrae of the spine tend to develop different compression fractures. In such a condition, the bones become brittle and porous.
Back Spasm – Other Causes
Back pain can occur in any one – even teens and children can be affected. Here are some people who are at the risk of having back pain:
- Age – Lower back pain is quite common as people start aging. People who are more than 30 or 40 years of age develop back pain.
- Sedentary Life – People who have unused muscles, those who are weak tend to develop back pain.
- Obesity – If you have excessive body weight, it can cause stress on the back.
- Diseases – There is a specific type of arthritis which can lead to back pain.
- Smoking – Those who smoke on a regular basis often have reduced blood flow to the spine. Thus, nutrients are not delivered to the disks at the back. Besides, smoking tends to slow down the healing process.
- Psychological Problems – There are many people who live in a depressed state. Such depression and anxiety causes back pain.
Back Spasm Remedy
There are several things which can be done to get relief from back spasm. These include:
If you need to sit for long periods due to your work, you should choose a seat which provides good lower support to the back, to the swivel base and armrests. You can again place a rolled towel in the back area. Your hips and knees should be in the right position. Keep changing your position frequently at least every thirty minutes.
Whenever you are standing, you should not slouch. It is important to stand in a neutral or pelvic position. If for some reason you are required to stand for a long-time, you should keep one foot on a low footstool. This will help in taking away some load from your back. You can keep alternating your feet. With a good posture, you are assured that the stress on the back muscles are lessened.
Stay Away from Heavy Lifting:
Lifting heavy objects can cause strain on your back. You need to avoid heavy lifts. In case you have to lift heavy objects, allow your legs to work. Your back should be straight. Do not twist. You will bend only at the knees and hold the load.
Try to touch your toes. Besides stretching the hamstrings when you bend a bit forward to reach the toes, it helps in loosening the muscles of your lower back. This improves the blood circulation and offers relief. People can also try the cobra pose which is quite effective as well.
Though back pain is a difficult condition, it can be managed with a few steps.