Back pain can be distressing – whether it is due to a sprain in the muscles or injury or due to some underlying condition. Many people suffer from back pain which has its roots in the shoulder blade or neck muscles. But whatever the condition is, it is necessary to know what causes back pain between shoulder blades.
When I visited my Doctor for the dull back pain, I was surprised at the number of people present there with the same kind of conditions. People had just one question – what is the pain in my back between shoulder blades? Is there any cure for it?
Back pain takes different forms. Several people complain of back pain due to job related conditions, sprains or injuries.
The common conditions include:
- Stiffness in the back muscles
- Dull ache in the back
- Sharp pain in the back
- Burning pain in the back
Do you Suffer from Pain Between the Shoulder Blades?
If you are having a back pain which is related to pain between the shoulders, you need to understand that there are a variety of shoulder pains. There might be a pain which is right on the front of the shoulder, between the shoulders and the back of the shoulder.
Pain between the shoulder blades is known as interscapular pain. It can be a mild discomfort, a concerning pain or a debilitating pain. This can cause immense pain which can also hamper daily activities.
Now, if you have this condition, you would definitely want to know the causes of such pain. Often if the cause is known, treatment gets easy. Most types of pain between the shoulder blades is caused due to trauma caused to the muscles. If there is bruising or inflammation to the muscles of the specific region, it can cause immense pain. One of the major causes of injury which results in such pain between the shoulder blades is a motor vehicle accident or playing contact sports.
Many people suffer form such a pain due to postural strain in the specific region. This can happen when a specific posture against the gravity is maintained for a long duration. People who have a job where they are required to sit for long duration in a specific posture or desk, suffer from such a condition. One of the most common scenarios, is prolonged sitting at any computer, without even changing the position.
Other symptoms of the pain including numbness and a throbbing pain in the muscles. So, next time when your back hurts between the shoulder blades, you need to first understand the cause and then look for a solution so that you can get relief.
To sum up – here are the causes of back pain between shoulder blades
- Overextension – If you are reaching out quite far, you will be straining the shoulders.
- Overuse – If you are working too hard doing a specific movement, it can lead to soreness and back pain.
- Sports activities – There are several sports activities which can cause shoulder and back pain. These include rotator cuff injuries.
- Other Injuries – There are several injuries which can cause localized pain
So, the most important question – how to treat such pain?
Though your Doctor shall prescribe different medications, there are a few exercises which can help in getting relief.
- Shoulder Stretch – Start by holding your arm out and place it across the chest. You can curl your left arm just below the right elbow. Next, you will hold on to this position for at least 30 seconds. You will do four stretches on every side.
- Back Lateral – You can hold a stick or a band or a sweater right behind you. You can hold one hand on either end. You can slowly shift the object towards the right. Stay in this position for at least 30 seconds. You can do four stretches for every side.
- Front Lateral – You can replicate the second exercise, except with the specific object in front. You will do four stretches on every side.
In case you find that the pain doesn’t get worse or it doesn’t improve, you need to get in touch with a professional. The professional can suggest various other therapies and treatments which can help you.